If you are a Windows user, then you should be prepared for April 1st, 2009. No it’s not about April Fool’s Day but it is about a worm named Conficker or DownAdUP that is expected “to evolve on April Fool's Day, becoming harder to exterminate but not expected to wreak havoc” (AFP).
Wreak havoc or not, surely I don’t want it inside my PC ever. Neither do you, This malware is a self-replicating program and can easily infects computers from the Internet or USB flash disks that could be triggered to steal data from your computer. Read more about Conficker from wiki here.
Here are symptoms that indicates your system might be infected :
- Account lockout policies being reset automatically.
- Certain Microsoft Windows services such as Automatic Updates, Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), Windows Defender and Error Reporting Services disabled.
- Domain controllers responding slowly to client requests.
- System network becoming unusually congested.
- Websites related to antivirus software becoming inaccessible.
So make sure your OS already patched. You can download McAfee AVERT Stinger Conficker just to make sure your system is clean. Don’t worry I won’t lead you to some nasty site. It’s a link from trusty softpedia.com.
If you already fed up by this worms and malwares circus around your OS, why not make a switch today. Ever heard something called Ubuntu Linux?
Did you know we never have problems with malware or at least very few? We can sit back and get through that day productively just like any other day without worrying are our anti-virus is up to date or not. Good luck on that day (or any other day).
image : wiki
keyword : conficker | windows | linux ubuntu | computer security