Just a few days to go until The Jackalope arrives. We got Beta now and a Release Candidate shortly then the final vesion. For those who can’t wait the final version and want to taste the Beta, here are ways to have 9.04 on your desktop. Me? I’ll wait for the stable one.
Ways to upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04 :
#1 Being Beta means it’s not stable yet, and still needs further testing and bugs crushing to be done. So the wisest choice is to download Ubuntu 9.04 Beta Live CD, play with it until the Stable version comes out without touching your current stable Ubuntu.
beware, next methods could break your system!
#2 Not your taste? Oh, so you like living on the edge, don’t you? Here’s how to upgrading it over your Ubuntu 8.10.
- press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -d" (without the quotes) into the command box.
- an update manager window will be opened with message : New distribution release '9.04' is available.
- Click Upgrade and follow the instructions.
Only do this kind of update if you have stable and fast Internet connection. If not, you’re only looking for trouble.
#3 Still want to upgrade your Ubuntu 8.10 but you don’t have stable internet connection? Then try this method :
- Burn the ISO to a CD and insert it on your to-be-upgraded computer or you can save some bucks and be green in the same time by mounting the ISO file with this command (open the terminal first by clicking Application –> Accessories –> Terminal and copy this command and paste it in Terminal with Ctrl-Shift-V):
sudo mount -o loop ~/Desktop/ubuntu-9.04-beta-alternate-i386.iso /media/cdrom0
or (depends on your file name) :
sudo mount -o loop ~/Desktop/ubuntu-9.04-beta-alternate-amd64.iso /media/cdrom0
- A dialog window will appear, follow the instruction.
For a complete guide on how to upgrade from alternate installation CD, here’s the link (scroll down to the bottom of that page).
What is an alternate installation CD? It’s a text-based installation CD, meaning no graphical interface.
This post will be updated accordingly to the latest Ubuntu release.
image : © BYSD
keyword : upgrading ubuntu : live cd, network upgrade, without internet connection